1. Mississippi State has been busy this year on the way to breaking several school records. Here’s a few of them.
In her eighth season as head coach of the Bulldogs Vann Stuedeman has collected 261 career wins and is now just 34 shy from tying the program record for most victories by a MSU head coach.
With with 15 home runs this season, Mia Davidson has now tied Caroline Seitz (2015) for Mississippi State’s sophomore home run record. Last season, Davidson set MSU’s freshman home run record with 19.
Through the first 30 games of the season, Mississippi State has hit 38 home runs and is just 17 away from tying the program record of 55 set in 2018.
Senior Sarai Niu enters the week with 1,060 career putouts to her credit. She is just the fifth Bulldog in program history to record 1,000 or more putouts over a career. She is just 370 putouts shy of MSU’s career record held by Cheri Smith (1998-01).
With sophomore Carter Spexarth’s grand slam at Kentucky (3/16), Mississippi State has already hit five grand slams this season to tie the program record set in 2010.
2. Georgia with its 1-0 shutout of Missouri on Mar. 15, recorded the 1,000th victory in program history. Georgia became only the fifth Division I program competing since 1996 or later to reach the 1,000-win mark. That group includes SEC programs Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, and LSU.
3. Alabama head coach Patrick Murphy collected his 400th conference win in a victory over Missouri earlier this season. That makes him the only head coach in league history to reach 400 conference wins, with no current or former coach having even reaching 300.
SEC Wins (as of 3/26/19)
Patrick Murphy (Alabama 1999-pres.) – 404
Lu Harris Champer (Georgia 2000-pres.) – 295
Ralph and Karen Weekly (Tennessee 2002-pres.) – 289
Tim Walton (Florida 2006-pres.) – 262
Yvette Girouard (LSU 2001-11) – 220
The Crimson Tide’s season just got harder with the news that freshman pitcher Montana Fouts is dealing with a minor injury and will be out indefinitely. She is expected though to return this season.
4. Texas on wednesday night (March 27) at Getterman Stadium, freshman pitcher Shealyn O’Leary needed just 63 pitches to get the 10th perfect game in UT history, and the first individual one for a Longhorns pitcher since Blaire Luna beat Washington back on March 17, 2011. Texas won the game with a 2-0 shutout of Baylor.
5. Georgia senior Alyssa DiCarlo broke Georgia’s all-time RBI record in the first inning of their game against Auburn plating her 237th-career RBI. She broke Alisa Goler’s previous record of 236 set from 2008-11. The Southeastern Conference record is 270, held Auburn’s Kasey Cooper (2014-17). Georgia also won the Friday game (March 29th)7-6. The win for Georgia snapped an eight-game losing streak to Auburn, dating back to Apr. 20, 2014.
6. Texas A&M head coach Jo Evans earned her 900th victory at Texas A&M Friday (March 29th) as the Aggies defeated BYU, 3-2, at Davis Diamond.
7. Louisiana with their 6-3 win over Georgia Southern on Saturday the Ragin Cajuns clinched their 50th consecutive Sun Belt series win, a streak that began in March 2013.
8. LSU’s Aliyah Andrews has 38 stolen bases on the year. She is now only eight away from breaking the record for stolen bases in a single season there.
9.Ole Miss with their win on Sunday Ole Miss for the first time since 2007 got a series victory over the Florida Gators.
10. Quotes here are a few quotes from players and coaches this past week. The first is from Mizzou’s head coach after their Monday night loss to Tennessee. “We have a young team, and that was exposed a little bit today,” Coach Anderson said. “They want to play hero ball sometimes, chasing pitches outside of the zone they shouldn’t be. That said, though, that felt like a super regional game to me. Two great teams and coaching staffs competing at that level? That’s what it’s all about.”
After rallying to win the final game of Auburn’s series with Georgia head coach Mickey Dean said, “The message after the game was to get back to who we are,” said Auburn head coach Mickey Dean. “We put up nine runs and hit a solo shot, but that’s just not who we are. We’ll take them when they come, but that’s not who we are.”
After run ruling South Carolina LSU’s head coach Beth Torina was asked about the teams hitting performance and being able to put runs on the board… “Amanda Sanchez was amazing today. The whole time we were just so glad that she is on our team. I thought Shelbi Sunseri did a nice job on the mound. All their hits were followed by outs, and I think that’s good that we were able to stop the bleeding, which was the problem yesterday. We let it all snowball on us. They did get some things, but we were able to get the next out.”
After getting a run rule 14-5 5-inning victory over North Carolina in the second game of a doubleheader Pitt head coach Jodi Hermanek. had these thoughts on the team’s performance, “I think we just needed the opportunity to show that we know that this is what we’re capable of,” said head coach Jodi Hermanek. “To finally to get it against a great pitching staff – at UNC there are no slouches in the circle – it was great to see. They [North Carolina] have a couple of really great, talented pitchers at the top of the conference right now, so to get it from them I think is even bigger. I’m just super happy that this team came out with the offensive grind this weekend.”
After defeating BYU 4-0 Aggies freshman 3B Baylee Klingler was asked, what it takes to win games…She answered “It’s about believing in ourselves that we can beat anyone. We need to believe and have confidence in each other. This whole game is a game of confidence, from making the plays, getting hits and having the pitching. There is nothing we lack physically. It’s about our mental game from here on out.”